Saturday, February 16, 2008

After much ado, I´ve arrived in Colombia


I would like to take this opportunity to publicly curse out the not so fine folks at American Airlines. My flight was supposed to leave from Laguardia to DC, then an overnight 9 hour layover in DC onto Miami, and finally a 2 hour wait to Barranquilla. Well, yesterday, the weather was amazing in NY (for a February afternoon), sunny, no wind and about 45 degrees. I get to the airport after leaving work early and paying nearly 40$ to a half-lost African cabbie, only to find that the flight has been cancelled due to conditions IE...weather. WEATHER. ÄA lady says inclement conditions¨ I say¨what inclement conditions?¨ Lady hands me a new itinerary flying from JFK at 1030PM. I tell this lady that I don´t care if they cancel my flight, but don´t flat out lie to my face. She says and I quote ¨it could be windy¨ I almost lost it but remained calm cool and collected and said something along the lines of ¨Say you underbooked, or no one paid enough for tickets, or your puppy died, but don´t tell me it´s the weather when it´s clearly not.¨ Not only do I have to travel to the other end of friggin Queens but it kills my plans in DC. Oh well, enough complaining. Long story short, drinking on a midnight-6am layover while fighting with an Ethiopian DC cabbie is NOT the best way to travel to what some say is the most dangerous country in the western hemisphere (that's BS i think). I arrived in Barranquilla today, the home of Shakira (more than one proud Colombian has said this to me today). If I see her I will make sure she breaks up with her royal Argentinian boyfriend and becomes my wifey. UPDATE. I left Barranquilla without even seeing the giant statue of her, so much for my marriage plans.
On my way from ¨New¨Cartegena to the colonial old town¨, I tried to snap a few pictures of the street scenes and my cabbie yelled at me to put the camera away because it will get stolen out of my hand while Im sitting in the cab. I felt he was exaggerating because Im Casperish but I went against my will and put the camera away for 2 minutes. Ill try to update again tomorrow,
Be well Kiddos

No comments: